The City of Encinitas recognizes that arts and culture are essential elements in the character and quality of life in a vibrant community. The City's commitment is evident by the many opportunities for residents, visitors, artists and arts organizations to share in our City's cultural expression through the arts. Collectively, these efforts result in a broad range of artistic opportunities for the Encinitas community.
A survey by the San Diego Foundation, A Portrait of San Diego Artists, found that Encinitas had the 2nd highest concentration of artists in San Diego County. The creative sector is the engine of urban economic development. Designers, musicians, actors, artists and other creative professionals are a catalyst for growth, creating new businesses, enhancing existing ones and attracting new residents with their performances, designs, murals and other contributions to urban vibrancy. An investment in the city’s creative economy is an investment in its long-term growth and vitality.
Commission for the Arts
The Arts Division works in partnership with the Commission for the Arts to carry out the vision of the City’s Arts Master Plan in 7 strategic areas:
- Visual Art
- Performing Arts
- Public Art
- Arts Education
- Arts Venues
- Marketing and Audience Development
Arts & Culture Organizations
Encinitas is home to more than 80 arts and culture organizations, along with numerous arts presenters: nonprofit organizations, businesses, community groups, mainstreet associations, and others.
Click here for the complete list.
Encinitas Arts & Events Calendar
The monthly calendar is a service of the Cultural Arts Division and Cultural Tourism Committee. To subscribe to "Encinitas This Week," the arts and events e-newsletter sent every Sunday morning to more than 17,000 subscribers, click HERE. To see a sample e-newsletter, click HERE.
Moonlight Beach Bash
The Encinitas Arts Festival has evolved into a pop-up arts district at Moonlight Beach, the city's most iconic tourist destination. Moonlight Beach Bash will take place on Saturday, October 7 from 3-6pm, and brings together art, music, dance, food, fun and beach culture, all the ingredients to have an awesome time. Annually, the first Saturday of October celebrates the founding of the City of Encinitas in October 1986. Come celebrate, spend time together with friends and family and enjoy what's typically Encinitas' best beach weather. Round up your friends and head to the Moonlight Beach Bash, Encinitas biggest beach party of the year.
Activities will include:
- America’s Got Talent Finalist Merrick Hanna will dance live on stage at 4:20pm.
- So-Cal reggae greats "The Devastators" will be live in concert from 4:40pm - 6:00pm.
- Fern Street Circus presents a show for all ages at 3:45pm. San Diego’s traveling circus merges the magnificent and the everyday through their performances. They will be joined by the acoustic Gypsy Trio, and will perform hoops, contortion, unicycling, tight wire and foot juggling.
- Studio FX performs at 3:00pm with Hip-hop dances by the Urban Misfits, Syde FX and Urban FX. Come and get involved and you may win cool prizes!
- Sidewalk chalk artists Gus Moran and Theresa Thorman will create amazing artworks right before your eyes.
- Art Miles Mural Project will lead the public in creating two huge painted canvas murals on the beach, about the beach. Fun for all ages.
- See a giant sand sculpture being built throughout the event and join in the fun. It’s your destination for a great photo opportunity.
- Food trucks and Moonlight Beach Deli and Dogs will offer plenty of great eating options.
- Plus enjoy free giveaways of beach swag and face painting workshops.
Presented by the City of Encinitas Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts Department.
Special thanks to our Moonlight Beach Bash event sponsors AMR Ambulance Service, Dudek, EDCO, Encinitas Magazine and the YEW! network.